||SU0168 Error During Installation --
This might also work for upgrading Windows 95
to a later version of Windows, although user feedback on this has not
|This procedure is
adapted from a technique posted on
comp.os.ms-windows.setup.win95 and credited to
Sergio P.G. Moreira (firstname.lastname@example.org),
Universidade do Minho.
How to install the Full or OEM Version
of Windows 95 onto a disk with an operating system
- Start the install process by running the Windows
95 setup program.
- When the program tells you that you can't install
this way (i.e., you get the "SU0168"
error), press the reset button to reboot the PC.
- Go to the C:\WININST0.400 directory.
- Edit the file C:\WININST0.400\SETUPPP.INF
- There is a line:
ProductType = number; change the number to 2.
- Start Windows 3.1, choose the Run command from
the File menu, and enter the line below:
C:\wininst0.400\suwin.exe /SrcDir=DD /IQ
(Change DD to the location of your Windows 95
distribution. If on CD-ROM, it will be something
like D:\WIN95; for diskettes, probably A:\.)